Isaac Whatever

I'm making this up.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 

Mup.sys hating

I'm so tired of Windows.

I'm an IT guy. I fix computers and handle problems. Today I was standing behind a user, having a conversation with him, when his computer crapped out.

I think he had outlook open. I'm not sure. What I do remember, very clearly, is that his hands were nowhere near the computer when the Blue Screen of Death appeared, and it had been idle for a while.

Startup failed. Then on rebooting in safe mode we got the dreaded Mup.sys error. Which doesn't really have anything to do with Mup.sys. After loading Mup.sys windows does a ton of different things, but "Loading Mup.sys" is the last message displayed.

I feel a sort of pity for the creator of Mup.sys. I imagine him traveling from town to town, an outcast, haunted by the Mup.sys error that actually has nothing to do with him.

This is my third dreaded Mup.sys error, and I've never successfully solved any of them. I tried the USB peripheral switching fix and then gave up and popped in Knoppix and started backing up his files. I won't even try the other fixes anymore - they're time consuming and they didn't work before - I just put the computer out of its misery.

(We could talk about backups here. I don't feel like it. We don't do backups on salesguy computers. The DB barely gets backed up. An argument for another day.)

There's the reformat, the reinstall, the driver hunt, updates, antivirus, office, outlook, configuring the VPN, reconfiguring outlook (it never seems to take the first time. I don't do anything different the second time), then favorites, documents, and pictures.

The new version of Office deleted the printer drivers when it installed. So I had to install them again, minutes after installing them the first time. Then a few minutes later, after a reboot, the original printer drivers were back. Great. I deleted the extra ones and soldiered on. Finally I was finished. Now the user is back to exactly where he was before his computer crapped out on him for no reason at all.

This is one of my best users. He didn't blame me, and he even listened to my Mup.sys explanation. Then he asked me - and this really kills me - what he could do to avoid this problem. And I had nothing to tell him.

Damn windows.

When one of my personal computers has a problem now I just turn it off. I ran off Knoppix for a week to avoid even trying to figure out why my burner was making coasters - they burned flawlessly in Knoppix. I only went back to windows because Knoppix locked up. And I was done burning CDs. My curiosity kicked in later and I found that I had installed rival cd-burning programs, which were engaged a war of attrition over my burner.

I'm tired of this. I'm getting close to buying a Mac again. The first time I did it I loved it - until I had to pay for it, and pay for support. Then I swore I wouldn't do it again unless I was rich. But maybe, just maybe, it is time.

I miss it. Especially Mail.app.

Labels: , , , , , ,






<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   April 2006   July 2006   September 2006   October 2006   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   April 2009   January 2010   December 2010   January 2012   February 2012   March 2012   May 2012   September 2012   October 2013   January 2014   December 2014   April 2022  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]